Little Cosy Voodoo

"As a young man, I often goaded my believing friends with crudely logical questions about God. But as the years have passed, I have found myself hankering more and more for a little cosy voodoo in my life. Increasingly, I regard my atheism as a regrettable limitation. It seems to me that my lack of faith is not, as I once thought, a triumph of the rational mind, but rather, a failure of the imagination - an inability to tolerate mystery: a species, in fact, of neurosis. There is no chance of my being converted, of course - it is far too late for that. But I wish it wasn’t."

Zoƫ Heller, Everything You Know


(hat-tip: Curmudgeon on Facebook)

Comments

Komal said…
Voodoo? What is she implying?
sadia said…
I have to disagree (there's a strong bias here, of course, I'll own up to that) ... but my view is that religion does the imagining for you, which is far worse than not imagining anything at all.