Comfort

"I think no one in the world knows how unhappy I am, and somehow that helps. There is comfort in solitude."

Isabel Huggan, The Elizabeth Stories

It is interesting to note how the same fact can affect two people in radically opposite ways. The person referred to it in the quote above found comfort in solitude, and yet its complete opposite also remains understandable: "I think no one in the world knows how unhappy I am, and that doesn't help matters at all. There is no comfort in solitude."

Comments

Rekhaa said…
I would personally say this if I have to describe myself or my usual mental state:

I think no one in the world knows how happy I am, and somehow that helps. There is comfort in solitude. :)

Only, here, I refer to an inner solitude that forces one to observe a minimum of external solitude. And this solitude - unlike the negative flavors in both statements - is very positive and uplifting.
Alec Lindsay said…
Or the same person in different moods or times.