Be Yourself

A psychopath's favorite maxim: Be yourself!

Comments

Komal said…
Hey! That's a great maxim! :P
Awais Aftab said…
I don't mean to say that there is something psychopathic about the maxim, or that all people who say 'Be yourself!' are psychopaths in some way. I was just thinking of its appeal to a psychopath. What would appeal to them more than a philosophy that advises to accept themselves as they are, and that there is nothing wrong with what they are.
Komal said…
I know, though I'm not sure I agree. I don't see much of a link. It seems the psychopath's maxim would be something like: 'care only about yourself.'
Awais Aftab said…
Psychopath only cares about himself because that is who he is. So, the maxim 'be yourself' translates as 'care only about yourself' in the case of psychopath.
Komal said…
But in the case of the non-psychopath it translate into 'care about yourself and others'. So how is this a maxim any more for the psychopath than anyone else?
Awais Aftab said…
I am not saying that the maxim is for the psychopath. I was wondering how people who offer the emphatic advice of 'Be yourself' (I do it often too, btw :D) would feel about psychopaths taking their advice. The advice usually tends to assume (implicitly) a certain goodness of character. That we are, at the bottom, generally good people. In the case of psychopath, the implicit underlying assumption is invalid, which renders the applicability a bit... uncomfortable.
Kom said…
Ok, but that wasn't clear in your post, which implied that 'be yourself' is a maxim more suited to psychopaths, or that psychopaths like it more.