Blame

X: And it was then I realized that I resent you, I resent people for being depressed; for not taking control of their lives or not even trying or not trying as hard as I would like them to. Lurking beneath this was the idea of total freedom and responsibility. How could I reduce the complex lives of people to a fuckin' existential choice of authenticity vs inauthenticity? Is blaming someone for being depressed not like blaming someone for being poor? The condition can be changed with effort, but you can't really blame them for it, in most of the cases. But that's what I was doing, without even being aware of it.

Comments

Alec Lindsay said…
What can I say? I've met lots of people who are 'depressed', and many of those suffer from depression. An important uniting factor for all of them is that they are robbed to a greater or lesser degree of their ability to try. The very worst are completely unable to 'try'. How many times have I heard said directly to me 'pull yourself together'. If only! We look out at the world of effort and achievement, we recognise it, it is an aspiration, we work towards it, but often it is like a parallel universe which we are prevented from touching or joining, much as most of would like to. Blaming someone for being depressed is a bit like blaming them for being poor, but it's more like blaming them for having feet.
The Me. said…
"And it was then I realized that I resent you, I resent people for being depressed; for not taking control of their lives or not even trying or not trying as hard as I would like them to. "

OmG. Exactly.
Nadia said…
We choose our own spiritual destiny.
All of us face such situations in life. And all of us are empowered to choose how we respond to them.
Alec Lindsay said…
I'm not quite sure what Nadia means when she says 'each of us is empowered to choose how we respond to them'. Respond to what? If she means that people with depression can choose how to respond to their condition, then that's clearly nonsense; if she means we can choose not to harbour resentment towards people who are depressed, then yes, I guess we can.
Mind you the notion that there is such a thing as spiritual destiny is pure mumbo-jumbo, so I'm not quite sure which bit of lala land she's living in anyway.