Truth

She stood there, offering me the Truth, dangling it in front of me, assuring me that there is yet a way. To my own surprise and despite years of skepticism, I believed her. I, who had long made my peace with the Great Unknown, stared on with awe, and... fear, for Truth is not without a price. You cannot possess the Truth and not have your life taken apart and reassembled. And I realized that somewhere along the way, I had stopped seeking it, had abandoned the pursuit, had ceased to want it. I had become content with the rejection of all that was Not Truth. I had found my peace in that. I had sedimented, hesitant to be unsettled.

She saw that in my heart. Smiled and withdrew her hand. 'It is not time yet...'

Comments

Awais Aftab said…
P.S. This post is not about Islam.
Z said…
i had felt the same thing....but couldn't put that into words.
Komal said…
I love it. I think it captures some of the phenomenology of atheism and spiritual seeking. Unless I'm completely mistaken about the intent :P.
Awais Aftab said…
@ Komal

You are not mistaken :)
Komal said…
Great. Can I repost this to my blog? :)

(BTW the word verification for my comment is 'mulla', lol :P).
Komal said…
Great. Can I repost this to my blog? :)

(BTW the word verification for my comment is 'mulla', lol :P).
Alec Lindsay said…
Truth is either a chimera, or there are many truths. Beware those who offer you the truth, Awais. She who dangles the truth in front of you may be trying to trap you. Many thing may take your life apart if you believe it.