The Slut Gene

Aati: (in one of her bitter moods) The whole incident was doubly embarrassing, because my father's the one who actually used to insist that these guys go out and 'catch a few girls'; it was awkward finding out my father expected them to then not marry those girls. The reasoning is: if she can be 'caught' by you, she can be caught by anyone! The girl's a slut and sluts are to be enjoyed, not married. And of course, then you marry a 100% respectable woman who can't be caught and, that ensures your daughters will also be free of the slut gene. Haha. My poor miscalculating father, perhaps I inherited mine from him!

Comments

Anam said…
sadly, this is the view of most the parents in our society. If a girl or a guy likes someone then he/she is NOT shareef because he keeps eyes on girls or she is approachable.
Komal said…
I like that Aati is standing up to patriarchal-ness. I wonder who she is though...
Dur-e-Aziz Amna said…
http://dureaziz.blogspot.com/2010/04/slut-shmut.html

Related, though perhaps not as poignant. :p
umairkazi said…
interesting observation!
there's also this unwritten 3 boyfriend rule that separates the "good girl" from the "gets around"
Insanely insane said…
I absolutely love Aati. :) Wonderful observations.
Komal Ali said…
That's how most people think in our society. :) ha! My dad is no different!