Psychedelic: Episode 2

Psychedelic
by Awais Aftab

Episode 2: The Kiss

I wake up. Just like that.

Fog surrounds my bed. On the wall, a self-made calendar announces an impossible date. 16 June 1904. “Damn you, Joyce.” I mumble.

I have to find that girl today. The girl with the lipstick. The girl with no shadow.

I wait at the coffee shop. She doesn’t show up. The man at the counter doesn’t like me. I wonder why.

She just exists in your imagination.

I touch the tissue paper in my pocket; it feels real. I decide to go to the library. I have never been to this one before.

Libraries are scary places. The books talk to me.

Laugh. And a chuckle.

I am not scared of you.

I enter the place. There is a counter just in front. There is a girl there, but she has a shadow. “How may I help you, sir?”

“Umm… I am looking for…” I look around confusingly. There she is! “I am looking for her.” I point.

The counter-girl makes an expression. “Penelope!” she calls out.

Penelope.

Ulysses will kill you. A sneer.

She looks at me; her lips curl. She comes and takes me by the arm; her eyes say something to the counter-girl. I step along, curious. She pulls me in an aisle between two rows of books.

“I was expecting you yesterday.”

“You weren’t exactly clear about the meeting.” I take out her note.

There is no lipstick on her lips.

“Ah, you brought my message.”

“How do you know I don’t have a shadow?” I demand.

She has playful eyes.

“I hear voices. I know you hear them too. They told me.”

I stare.

Liar!

“What happens to shadows when light falls on them?” She asks.

“They disappear.”

“You had a shadow once. Light fell on it.”

What, she is the Oracle of Delphi now?

The books start to whisper. Telemachus, Nestor, Proteus, Calypso

Shut up!

The Lotus Eaters, Hades, Aeolus

“Have you read Jung?”

“A long time ago…” … when I was in the institution.

Jung! Oh, the archetype. The shadow. “Everyone carries a shadow.” I mutter as I remember the line.

“We don’t. Because we hear them. We hear our shadows… Shadows don’t remain shadows when they talk.” She says.

I am not a shadow. She’s crazy!

The autonomous, obsessive, possessive, primitive, emotional unconscious. Does mine talk to me?

She’s delusional. Trying to explain her hallucinations in Jungian terms. You have seen people like her. I am the real thing!

“Do you remember the story of the Frog Prince?” She suddenly says.

“Of course.”

Frogs turning into Princes. Fairy tales. Kafkaesque-ness in reverse.

“A spoiled princess has to befriend a frog. Initially she is horrified and disgusted. However, there comes a magic moment of transformation. The modern versions say it’s a kiss. For the more austere early story-tellers, it is enough for the frog to spend the night on her pillow. According to Brothers Grimm, she throws the frog against the wall. Whatever. Boom. Abracadabra. The frog mutates into a handsome prince.”

What a cliché.

“A Freudian would say…”

Mumbo-Jumbo.

“…that it is the story of a young woman getting over her fear of sex. But Joseph Campbell, influenced by Jung…”

I hate these crappy psychologists.

“… believed that Frog represents the Shadow. The archetype. The kiss is symbolic of the acceptance of the unconscious by the conscious. The prince without a shadow. An act like that, I would symbolize it with nothing less than sex. A mere kiss?”

Why do children need to read Jung-Freud wrapped up in a cookie anyway?

“You read a lot, don’t you?”

“I work in a library.”

She sparkles; and saying so, without warning she leans forward on her toes and presses her mouth onto mine.

I stand uncertain.

She could have thrown you against the wall.

She offers a risqué smile and walks away.

The touch of human lips. What an odd taste.

May or May Not be Continued…

Comments

hsa said…
Oh please continue..it's damn interesting
Butters said…
Is this a TV show you're transcribing?
Awais said…
@ Butters

Umm, No. It is my own original story. Lolz.
Mayhem said…
AWAIS!!!

YOU WRITE SO BEAUTIFULLY!!

AND HERE YOU WERE FEEDING US THAT COPY-PASTE STUFF!!

Now, you owe it to us, Mister to write cause your originals ARE mind blowing!!
Butters said…
You should post these on Bazm too.

If you want.
F. said…
Why do children need to read Jung-Freud wrapped up in a cookie anyway?

“You read a lot, don’t you?”

“I work in a library.”

She sparkles; and saying so, without warning she leans forward on her toes and presses her mouth onto mine.

I stand uncertain.

She could have thrown you against the wall.

She offers a risqué smile and walks away.

The touch of human lips. What an odd taste.


*happy dreamy sighs*
Specs said…
Where's the 'like' button on this thing?! :-)
Awais said…
Thank you everyone for praising this piece of writing which i feared would be unpalatable for many :)

Episode 3 will hopefully be posted in a few days.
jyothy karat said…
This MUST continue..
Anonymous said…
waw ur own original story...plz do continue it...dont stop
Anonymous said…
It is very well written:)