16 Basic Desires

The research of Professor Steven Reiss has revealed that there are 16 basic desires and motivations that form the basis of almost all meaningful behaviour. These 16 desires are:

* power
* independence
* curiosity
* acceptance
* order
* saving
* honor
* idealism (in a sense)
* social contact
* family
* status
* vengeance
* romance
* eating
* physical exercise
* tranquility

[The ones which are of greater significance to me are in bold.]

Different people have different levels of desire for each of these motivations, which may range from passionate pursuit, to some interest and to complete indifference. Have a look at the list and find out which of these motivate you.

[For those interested, here is an excellent article on Reiss's theory: http://www.jefallbright.net/node/1504]

Comments

dure said…
Like I needed more evidence that me and my brother are so different. Because my motivations were the following:

power
acceptance
honour
idealism
family
vengeance
romance
eating

;p just two similarities!
Vasudha said…
That gives me hope! :)