Sand and Foam

Today is Kahlil Gibran's birthday, so in his honour, here are some quotes from his book Sand and Foam:

* The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you.Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say.

* My loneliness was born when men praised my talkative faults and blamed my silent virtues.

* When Life does not find a singer to sing her heart she produces a philosopher to speak her mind.

* When two women talk they say nothing; when one woman speaks she reveals all of life.

* If winter should say, "Spring is in my heart," who would believe winter?

* Now let us play hide and seek. Should you hide in my heart it would not be difficult to find you. But should you hide behind your own shell, then it would be useless for anyone to seek you. A woman may veil her face with a smile.

* If I were to choose between the power of writing a poem and the ecstasy of a poem unwritten, I would choose the ecstasy. It is better poetry.

* Many a woman borrows a man's heart; very few could possess it.

* Love that does not renew itself every day becomes a habit and in turn a slavery.

* In truth we talk only to ourselves, but sometimes we talk loud enough that others may hear us.

*I long for eternity because there I shall meet my unwritten poems and my unpainted pictures.

Comments

@ish said…
"The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you.Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say."
it feels so true..yeh it really does :)

" When Life does not find a singer to sing her heart she produces a philosopher to speak her mind."
now tht seems smthng like u..
"When two women talk they say nothing; when one woman speaks she reveals all of life."
100% true ..heeehhe