Temptation

Gandalf: Sauron needs only this ring to cover all the lands of a second darkness... He is seeking it, seeking it; all his thought is bent on it. The ring yearns, above all else, to return to the hand of it's master. They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord. Frodo, he must never find it...
Frodo: Take it Gandalf, take it! You must take it!
Gandalf: You cannot offer me this Ring...
Frodo: I am giving it to you!
Gandalf: Don't... tempt me, Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, Frodo, I would use this ring from a desire to do good, but through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine.


Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring [The movie]

Part of fighting a temptation is not just having the strength to resist it, but also having the wisdom to stay away from it. :)

Comments

Kishore said…
This is one of the conversations from all the Lord of the Rings books and movies that I remember well. And I can't help but draw parallels between Dumbledore and Gandalf everywhere. For example, like in this conversation, Dumbledore never wanted to be Minister for Magic.

But of course, like the whole series, Gandalf is a character of a much greater scale than Dumbledore.