Unilateral Love

"If I love you, what does that matter to you!"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This is a very violent form of unilateral love, and I can understand it because I once, temporarily fortunately, experienced this. :) This is a type of love which is irrespective of the response of the lover... but it would be more appropriate to say that it is mostly stimulated by a lack of response of love. But since the lover is reluctant to let go of the feeling of love, he/she retains this emotion without expecting or desiring any reciprocity. A love which has no desire to be reciprocated seems a bit unnatural to me, almost inhuman perhaps... it's like loving a statue or a painting. Suppose someone says to you, "I'll love you no matter what you do! I'll love you even if you hate me!"... What can you do with such a stubborn lover? Uhh... gives me the shivers!

Comments

Lotus said…
How did you get out of that unilateral love? I am curious to know! :)
Awais Aftab said…
@Lotus

Once I had mentally understood the psychological mechanism behind these feelings, it took some time for this realization to sink in that it was emotionally unhealthy for me. Later I found a more mutual and reciprocal love relationship with someone else that finally nailed the coffin :)
Lotus said…
Thanks much for the answer.

So, can we say that "unilateral love" is typically unhealthy?
I am going to search more on this topic though, thanks for the pointers :)