Why do you love me?

Suppose the person you love asks you "Why do you love me?", what would you answer?

I love you for your beauty?
I love you for your intelligence?
I love you for the way you talk?
I love you for your smile?
I love you for your money?
I love you for your fame?

No matter what reason you give, the very association of a reason for loving seems to somehow undermine the notion of love. Perhaps the only answer that doesn't give a negative impression is:

I love you for you no reason at all.

But then this seems absurd and irrational. Maybe love is irrational.

Of course, it sounds appropriate and even makes sense to say:
'I like you for your intelligence.'
But this statement gives a very different impression if you say:
'I love you for your intelligence.'

Think about it.

Comments