Thursday, January 26, 2017
Selected quotations from Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed
* "The most fascinating thing to me about your letter is that buried beneath all the anxiety and sorrow and fear and self-loathing, there's arrogance at its core. It presumes you should be successful at twenty-six, when really it takes most writers so much longer to get there."
* "The story of human intimacy is one of constantly allowing ourselves to see those we love most deeply in a new, more fractured light."
* "cultivate an understanding of a bunch of the other things that the best, sanest people on the planet know: that life is long, that people both change and remain the same, that every last one of us will need to fuck up and be forgiven, that we're all just walking and walking and walking and trying to find our way, that all roads lead eventually to the mountain top."
* "The future has an ancient heart" (quoting Carlo Levi)
* "an ethical and evolved life also entails telling the truth about oneself and living out that truth."
* "there will likely be no clarity, at least at the outset; there will only be the choice you make and the sure knowledge that either one will contain some loss."
* "after destiny has delivered what it delivers, we are responsible for our lives."
* "Be brave enough to break your own heart."